Using Egnyte's built-in Metadata options, Administrators can create sections for metadata to allow their users to add and edit metadata for files and folders within the Web UI. The metadata properties will be displayed in the file details and the folder details pane to make finding related folders and files even easier. In this article, we'll cover how to create new metadata, how to edit and delete existing metadata, and how users can add metadata to files and folders.
Skip Ahead to...
Admins can use the following steps to create new Metadata sections.
- Select the Menu icon and click Settings from the drop-down.
- Choose the Metadata tab and click the Add New Section button.
- Enter a name for the new Metadata Section.
- Enter the following property values for the new section. Multiple properties can be added to the same section.
- Property Name: Create a name for the property (required).
- Description: Provide additional details about the property (optional).
- Type: Select a type for the property (required). See descriptions of the types below:
- Integer - A whole number
- Decimal - Integer and non-integer numbers
- String - A string of arbitrary characters
- Date - Past, present, or future date
- Dropdown with options - Provide predetermined options for users to select from
- Once all of the needed information has been entered, click Save.
Edit or Delete Metadata
Admins can use the following steps to edit or delete existing Metadata sections.
- From Settings Choose the Metadata tab and click the Edit icon or the Delete icon.
- If you selected the Edit icon, make the necessary changes to the metadata section name or properties, including deleting a specific property, and click Save.
If you selected the Delete icon, you will need to confirm that you want to remove this section by typing in a confirmation message and clicking Remove section:
Add Metadata to Content
Admins and users can use the following steps to edit Metadata in documents.
- Navigate to the file or folder you want to add metadata to and open the Details section.
- Find the section you want to edit and click on the Edit icon.
- Add content and click Save.