Egnyte provides multiple options via the Create menu to quickly create folders, projects, Microsoft and Google documents, "Links as Assets" or URL files, and draft documents.
Skip Ahead to...
Create File or Folder
The menu is intuitive and logically structured to help the user navigate through the options available to create the required object within Egnyte.
The users can also create the documents from the Home dashboard without having to navigate to a specific folder.
With Google Workspace integration enabled, users can create blank documents. Additionally, with Microsoft Office integrations enabled, users can either create blank documents or use the templates as available under the Egnyte Templates folder.
The pop-up displays the path or location where the document or folder is being created.
Create 'Links as Assets' or URL Files
Users can specify the address for the URL and provide a Link name for the URL. For example, the URL can be directed to a website or an online document. To edit the URL or Link name or both, use the context menu via the right-click.
A .url file is created with a link specified.
Once the link is clicked, it opens in the previewer where the users can see the link. Clicking on Open will redirect the user to the associated URL.
- While the flow allows the users to create links with HTTP and HTTPS protocols only, users can click Open on existing link files that use other protocols, such as FTP and SMTP, to be redirected.
- As the .url files are natively supported by macOS and Windows operating systems, users can click to open the links.
- The feature is applicable for all platform plans
- The feature is now supported for Egnyte’s iOS and Android mobile apps.
- URL file preview is not supported
Creating a Draft Document
Using the Create menu, users can quickly create a Microsoft or Google document in 'draft" mode. This allows users to work on the document without worrying about its visibility and sharing with others until it’s ready. And, once the document is ready, users can ‘Publish’ the same to the path where it was created from (default), or choose another.
If Draft mode is selected, files are saved in a Drafts folder (that is automatically created by Egnyte) under the user’s Private, thereby restricting the visibility and default sharing with others. This allows the user to update the document as needed, and publish to a Shared folder when ready by clicking Publish document.
Prior to publishing, the file with its associated versions are moved to the specified folder. In addition, users can change the file name, and publish the file in the original location where the file was created from or choose a different location as well before clicking Publish.
The Publish option is provided for files and folders specifically under Drafts. Users are highly advised against renaming, moving or deleting the ‘Drafts’ folder as these actions will lead to a loss of this functionality.
In addition, consider the following when drafting a file:
- Drafts folder can be used for any type of file and is not restricted specifically to Microsoft or Google files
- If a file is moved to the ‘Drafts’ folder via Desktop App, or created via WebUI’s Create menu, the default path on Publish will be empty as there’s no way to determine its folder path. In such cases, users will need to choose a path to Publish the file to.
- The ‘Draft’ functionality is available on platform plans where Private folder is enabled/available for the users
- If a user already has a ‘Drafts’ folder under Private, it will be reused
For more details on how to use the features available via the Create menu, refer to the following helpdesk articles: