Egnyte now allows the ability to leverage Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides to collaborate on files stored in Egnyte. Files are located in Egnyte, not in Google Drive, and come with all the Egnyte permissions and controls. Files are automatically saved back to Egnyte.
Skip Ahead to...
- Create new Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides files and save them directly to Egnyte. Users can browse their Egnyte File system and open and edit documents.
- Permissions on these files are managed by Egnyte and are subject to Egnyte permissions, sharing, and security policies.
- Activity on these documents are recorded by Egnyte Audit Reports.
- No matter where team members are located, they can collaborate in real-time using Google Workspace collaboration with the benefits of Egnyte’s secure and easy file-sharing solution.
- All changes are automatically saved back to your Egnyte Cloud Storage.
- Open and edit Microsoft Office documents using Google Workspace editing tools within Egnyte and have those files saved directly in Egnyte.
An Admin user on your domain should select Apps & Integrations in the Web UI and hover over the Egnyte for Google Workspace Integration app.
If the “Google Drive” app is enabled for the domain, the “Egnyte for Google Workspace” app will not be visible until the “Google Drive” app is disabled.
Click the Settings icon and choose "Added for groups," "Allow users to add," or the "Added for all users" option. Learn more about these options below.
- Added for all users: This is the simplest way to deploy the app to all users in your organization. This option makes the app instantly available for all users and is best when your domain has a Google Workspace subscription.
- Allow users to add: This makes the app visible to all users on the Apps page, but each user must add the app on their own. This is best for organizations that do not have Google Workspace licenses for all users.
- Added for groups: This allows you to control which groups in Egnyte have the add-on installed. All the users in that group will have the integration enabled.
How It Works
- Log into your Google Account
- Open a separate tab and login to Egnyte account with the same email address.
- From Egnyte Web UI, you're able to create a new Google file by selecting + Create from the top menu.
Creating Documents From Within a Specific Folder:
Creating Documents From the Home Dashboard:
The option to create documents will not be available if Microsoft Office and Google Workspace integrations are not enabled for the domain/user.
The default location for the documents created from the home dashboard will be Private/User’s Private Folder Name/Quick Created Files/YYYY, where YYYY is the year in which the document is created.
For example, if the document is created on 15th December 2022 and the user’s private folder name is myprivatefolder, then the default location will be Private/myprivatefolder/Quick Created Files/2022.
This will help the user structure the documents created from the home dashboard for easy management.
Note this folder will get created in the user’s private folder when the user clicks on the Create menu from the home dashboard.
While creating a blank document, the document created will be opened in the new tab for editing and collaboration. All changes are automatically saved within Egnyte.
Creating documents from a template:
If you are creating the document from the template, you will be prompted to enter the name for the new document to be created and then the document created will be opened in the new tab for editing and collaboration. All changes are automatically saved within Egnyte.
You can also open an existing supported file type (gdoc, gsheet, gslides, docx, xlsx, pptx) by right-clicking on the file and selecting Open In..., then Edit in Google Sheets.
- The first time you create a new document, you may be presented with a dialog window. We recommend checking the Don't show again checkbox before clicking Continue.
- The file is opened in the corresponding editor (Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides) where the file will be saved directly into Egnyte.
- Mobile devices can preview Google Workspace files but cannot edit these files.
- Google Workspace Add-On's can't be accessed with this integration
- Imported Ranges, Protected Sheets and Templates within Google Workspace Editor are not available with this integration
- Charts can not be added for Google Docs and Google Slides
- Microsoft Office file types have a limitation of 100 MB when using this integration
- Google Docs file types have a limitation of 200 MB when using this integration