Viewer Only Permission (Limited Availability)
Egnyte is excited to announce Limited Availability of Viewer Only permission to its Platform Enterprise plan customers. Viewer Only permission is a new folder permission level that allows customers to better protect their contents by restricting files from being downloaded while still being previewable in the WebUI.
What is Viewer Only Permission?
Viewer Only permission is a new folder permission level that can be assigned to Standard Users and Power Users that have been added to your domain.
Users with assigned Viewer Only permission can preview documents in Egnyte’s WebUI but not download, print, edit or open and save them through native preview (e.g. Microsoft Office online preview).
Previewing documents on Egnyte’s Mobile App and Desktop App is not possible and files will not be visible or accessible on these clients.
Assigning Viewer Only permission works in the same way as assigning other folder permissions. More details about Folder Permissions can be found here.
How Can I Participate in the Limited Availability Program?
As part of Limited Availability, Egnyte will activate Viewer Only permission on a rolling basis to Platform Enterprise plan customers as soon as the domains fulfill the technical requirements (Limited Availability).
Viewer Only permission cannot not be activated without the domain fulfilling all technical requirements.
What are the Technical Requirements that Need to be Fulfilled Before Activation?
Viewer Only permission is a fundamental platform feature that requires certain client devices to upgrade to a new software version or to be migrated:
- All admins and power users must use Egnyte Mobile app version 8.12.2 for iOS (available starting from October 2022) and 8.32 for Android (already available), or higher.
- Desktop Sync devices are not supported with Viewer Only Permission and must first be synchronized and thereafter migrated to Desktop App.
- Storage Devices as well as Public Cloud Connectors must be upgraded to Smart Cache version 3.10.0 or Storage Sync Version 12.14.0 (including Public Cloud Connectors)
- NETGEAR devices are not supported with Viewer Only Permission and must first be synchronized and thereafter migrated to Smart Cache. Further information can be found here.
- 3rd party integrations (not developed by Egnyte) are currently not supported and domains using integrations developed by 3rd parties cannot join Limited Availability roll-out
- Customers’ own integrations with Egnyte’s Public API need to be tested by the customer on customers own test domains first.
Egnyte will not activate Viewer Only permission if the above technical requirements have not been met.
How Can I Have My Users Upgrade Their Egnyte Mobile Apps?
Users that have activated automatic updates for Egnyte’s mobile app will automatically get the latest version.
For users that have deactivated automatic upgrades, you can get a list of users/devices with their currently used Egnyte App version in domain Settings -> Devices. Admins may reach out to these users directly requesting to manually upgrade to the latest Egnyte App version.
How Can I Upgrade My Smart Cache and Storage Sync/Public Cloud Connector Devices?
Smart Cache Devices will automatically be updated in the chosen maintenance window. For more information about Smart Cache update windows see here.
If automatic updates for Storage Sync and Public Cloud connector are disabled, updates need to be manually performed by the admin. Please refer to Storage Sync and Public Cloud Connector pages for more details.
Storage Sync version supporting Viewer Only permission will be made available in November 2022.
Our Domain Uses Egnyte's Public API - What Do I Need To Do?
Since Egnyte has no control over customers’ own integrations using the Public API, customers are required to test their integrations on a test domain before activation of Viewer Only permission.
Once activated on a domain, Viewer Only permission is also activated on the domain’s Public API and the API fully supports Viewer Only permission.
Egnyte will not activate Viewer Only permission on domains that show Public API usage without prior consent from the customer.
What Changes Did You Introduce to the Public API?
Egnyte’s Public API consists of more than 20 endpoints falling into the following categories:
- File/Folder Endpoints: Folders for which the API user has Viewer Only Permissions continue to be visible on these endpoints and the user can navigate through the entire folder tree, however, files will not be shown in the endpoint responses. Copy and move operations containing subfolders with Viewer Only Permissions are entirely blocked.
- Permission Endpoints: Viewer Only permissions are fully visible to API users having sufficient permissions to view or manage permissions.
- Audit Endpoints: Viewer Only permissions are fully visible to API users having sufficient permissions to view or manage permissions.
- Streaming/Event Endpoints: Viewer Only permissions are fully visible to API users having sufficient permissions to retrieve events.
- Webhooks: Viewer Only permissions are fully visible to webhook users.
How Does Egnyte Help Me with Testing?
Testing for Public API integrations has to be performed by customers themselves. Egnyte provides test domains, documentation about the changes introduced and ensures support in case of issues found during your testing.
Test domains can be created using Egnyte’s trial sign up on Egnyte website and raising an Egnyte Support ticket to activate Viewer Only permission on that domain. Reach out to Egnyte Support by submitting a ticket or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are There Any Limitations After Viewer Only Permission has been Activated on My Domain?
Yes. After Viewer Only permission has been activated on a domain, the following general limitations apply:
- Registration of mobile devices with Egnyte app Versions not supporting Viewer Only permission is no longer possible (applies to all user types).
- Registration of Desktop Sync devices is no longer possible (applies to all user types).
- Registration of Smart Cache, Storage Sync and Public Cloud Connector devices with versions not supporting Viewer Only permission is no longer possible
- Registration of NETGEAR devices is no longer possible.
- 3rd Party applications not developed by Egnyte must NOT be activated or integrated by admins.
I am a Technology Partner Offering a Third-Party Integration in Egnyte's Application Store. How Can I Test and Approve My Application to Work with Viewer Only Permission?
Technology partners offering a 3rd party integration must test their integration to be compatible with Viewer Only permission.
Egnyte provides test domains, documentation about the changes introduced and ensures support in case of issues found during your testing.
Test domains can be created using Egnyte’s trial sign up on Egnyte website and raising a support ticket to activate Viewer Only permission on that domain. Reach out to Egnyte Support by submitting a ticket or send an email to email@example.com.
Once successfully tested, technology partners can confirm compliance of their integration to Egnyte in order to allow customers to use the integration in combination with Viewer Only permission.
What If I Want to Downgrade from the Platform Enterprise Plan?
As long as there are active permission assignments using Viewer Only Permission, a plan downgrade is not possible. Before downgrading, customers must re-assign Viewer Only permissions to another (higher) appropriate permission level or revoke permissions entirely for users with current Viewer Only permission assignments.