Any user of the Migration App.
When you run a scan in Migration App, the details page for the migration job displays items that Need Attention. Understanding these items and how you can address them will help ensure your migration job runs smoothly.
Excluded Vs. Unsupported
Excluded files are incompatible with Egnyte.
- Some items will never be migrated. It is not a function of the Migration App, but rather it is dependent on the Egnyte Cloud File System. Examples are Database files, temp files, files with a future timestamp, or vaulted files.
- Some items are incompatible but may be modified to become compatible. These include file pathnames greater than 245 bytes and pathnames that contain multibyte unicode characters. If you can revise these names, the object may be migrated.
Unsupported Files And Folders
Unsupported files and folders are those with names that are incompatible with Egnyte. These items can only be migrated if you fix the file and path names to meet Egnyte's requirements.
The Sanitize function in Migration App will fix file names by replacing offending characters with an underscore ("_") on the source. Once these are sanitized, they can be migrated.
For more information about unsupported objects, see Filtered And Unsupported Objects With Migration App.
For more information about sanitization, you may wish to view Understanding Sanitization Options In Migration App.
Pre-Check Parameters In Migration App
When a new migration job is created, Migration App automatically runs a pre-check scan to provide insights to the Migration Operator about how the job will run.
What Is Analyzed During Pre-Check?
Migration App analyzes the following items during the pre-check scan:
- What is the total size of the migration job?
By default, most domains are limited to a maximum size of 5TB for an individual migration job, but we recommend creating jobs totaling less than 4TB to allow for data creep. If your job is over 5TB, you cannot run the migration, although this limit can be adjusted by exception. Reach out to your Egnyte representative to discuss your options.
- How many files and folders?
The number of files and folders combined equals the total objects in the job. By default, total objects are limited to 8 million, which means jobs with more than this limit cannot be run. However, this limit can also be adjusted by exception. Discuss your options with your Egnyte representative.
- Are there empty folders on the source?
You will have the option to include empty folders in your migration, should you desire to do so.
- Will any files and folders be excluded?
Excluded objects are those that cannot be migrated to Egnyte for a variety of reasons. See Unsupported Characters and File Types.
- Are any files and folders unsupported?
Unsupported files and folders are those with names that do not comply with Egnyte’s naming protocol. As opposed to excluded objects which cannot be migrated at all, unsupported files and folders may be migrated to Egnyte if you first Sanitize them. See Understanding Sanitization Options in Migration App.
- Will the migration job exceed the available space on the domain?
For standard trial domains, your job will fail if your domain storage exceeds 20GB. For paid domains, this is just for your information. You can migrate as much as you want, and if the storage exceeds your current plan it will be addressed during the next billing period.
- Are there any individual files on the source that exceed the limit for the Egnyte domain?
Every domain has a limit to the size of any individual file. This is dependent on your plan and could vary anywhere from 100GB to 250GB. If any individual file exceeds the limit for your domain, it will simply be skipped during the migration.
- Are there any folders on the source that exceed the 50,000 child limit?
Egnyte has a hard limit of 50,000 immediate children within a given folder. If any folder in your migration project exceeds this limit, it will simply be skipped during the migration.
- Are there any file or folder names exceeding 245 characters?
Any file or folder name that exceeds 245 characters will not be migrated.
How Do I View The Results Of The Pre-Check Scan?
Results will be displayed on the Migration Details page in the Scan information details.
Questions? Feature Requests? Other Feedback?
If you have feature requests or suggestions, feel free to submit them on our Productboard, and be sure to mention Migration App in the text.
For more complex requests that would benefit from providing screenshots or other attachments, you may submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include Migration App in the email title. Our Support team will push your comments to the Product team for consideration.