An Egnyte account has three different types of users. A person's user type governs whether they have access to a broad array of Egnyte features including audit reports, user management, FTP upload capabilities, and private folders.
User types are different from folder permissions, which determine the set of actions that a user can perform on a particular folder (downloading or deleting files, moving the folder, etc.). User Groups are a convenient way to cluster users for assigning common permissions to folders.
Skip Ahead to...
By default, the person who registers for an Egnyte account is the Administrator of that account. Additional Administrator accounts can be created or deleted as necessary. Administrators can perform the following actions.
- Create Power Users, Standard Users, and Groups from the Users & Groups menu: This is essential to provide other users with access to Egnyte.
- Create root-level folders under the Shared Folder: This is the first step in creating a folder scheme that is customized for your business needs.
- Control license & subscription settings: The Administrator can purchase more Power User licenses and provide credit card information for managing the subscription to the Egnyte service.
- Run reports to see the status of active file links from your account, how folder permissions have changed, and more.
- Mandate security controls like two-step log-in verification, password rotation requirements, and minimum password length.
- Delegate permissions like Plan Details page access or Standard User management using Role-based Administration.
Administrators cannot be restricted from accessing specific folders.
Power Users (Employees)
Assign the Power User permission level to your company's employees. Power Users are given full use of Egnyte's access methods and advanced features. Depending on your plan, Power Users can access files using the web browser, FTP, Desktop App, mobile apps, and can invite Standard Users. Power Users also receive a personal sub-folder, /Private, that is accessible only to them (and the account Admins).
Admins can assign some administrative rights to Power Users using the Role-based Administration feature. Plan Details page access, standard user management, and top-level folder creation are a few of the functions that can be delegated to Power Users.
Standard Users (Business Partners)
Assign the Standard User permission level to your company's customers, vendors, and other outside partners. Standard Users can be given access to shared folders (but do not have their own private folders) and can log into Egnyte through a web browser or mobile app. Standard Users have limited access to advanced Egnyte features and typically cannot share folder or file links. If you're interested in allowing Standard Users to share links, please reach out to your Account Manager for more information.
Standard Users are also not granted access to Egnyte Connect Desktop App, Desktop Sync, Storage Sync, or FTP. In addition, Standard Users cannot be authenticated using an external active directory service or SSO.
For a quick comparison of Standard and Power Users, refer to this table:
|Storage Sync (Office & Enterprise Local Cloud)
|External Authentication (via AD or SSO)
*In some cases, these features may be enabled for Standard Users. Please reach out to your Account Manager for more information.
Ready to take the next steps? Want to learn more? Check out these helpful resources to keep your momentum going.