FIDO2/WebAuthn is the latest authentication standard co-authored by Google, Microsoft, and others in collaboration with the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). FIDO2 relies on an asymmetric (public/private) pair of cryptographic keys to authenticate users. The public key is stored internally within Egnyte Protect, while the private key is kept by the user and is protected on a physical security key.
Egnyte Secure & Govern has recently added support for FIDO2/WebAuthn standards. It enables you to make your account more secure by adding a second-factor authentication using FIDO2/WebAuthn compatible security keys to your login process.
How do I set up my Egnyte Secure & Govern account to use FIDO2/WebAuthn?
- Navigate to Settings and click on Account on the left navigation.
- Turn on Hardware Security Key to add a label to your key and then click Done.
- The Security Key setup window appears, select OK
- Click OK again to continue with key setup
- Verify your identity by inserting your FIDO2 key in your USB port or you can use a built-in sensor. Click on USB Security Key if you wish to use a physical FIDO2/WebAuthn key or click on Built-in-sensor to use your device's built-in reader.
- If you clicked on the Built-in sensor in the previous step then you will be prompted to place your finger on your Built-in fingerprint sensor.
- After inserting the security key inside one of your computer's USB port or after using the Built-in sensor, click on Allow.
- Your hardware security key is now setup and Two-factor authentication will be required each time you log into Egnyte Secure & Govern.
For additional information regarding FIDO2/WebAuthn please review FIDO2/WebAuthn FAQ