This article provides instructions for configuring the FileZilla FTP client to work with Egnyte, adding filters, and more. For background information about uploading files using FTP and access to other FTP configuration guides, please read this article.
Exclusions: Please refer to this article for unsupported characters and excluded file types that will not be synced.
- Install FileZilla FTP V.3.38 or higher. You can find the download options here.
If you already have FileZilla installed, go to Settings, select Updates, click the Run update check now... button to ensure you have an acceptable version installed.
- From the menu, go to File, then Site Manager, and click New Site.
Enter the following information (dependent on the type of connection you're using) in the General tab and click OK.
For FTP and FTPES Connections: FTP - File Transfer Protocol
For SFTP Connections: SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol
Host: ftp-acme.egnyte.com (Replace acme with your Egnyte domain name)Encryption: Require explicit FTP over TLS
This option will not appear when SFTP is selected for the protocol
Logon Type: Normal
Note: Replace jsmith with your Egnyte username and acme with your Egnyte domain name. The $ character is a separator between your username and domain name.
Password: Your Egnyte password.
For SSO-authenticated users,it is necessary to create a non-SSO password for FTP. Instructions for this can be found here
- Go to the Transfer Settings tab and check the box next to Limit number of simultaneous connections.
Limit the maximum number of simultaneous connections to 6. When these connections go beyond 6, you may see a 550 Cannot Connect error.
- Click OK once completed.
- If you're using an SFTP connection, please skip ahead to step 8.
Expand the FTP section and set the following:
Transfer Mode to Passive
Uncheck the box for Allow fall back to other transfer modes on failure
Check the box for Send FTP keep-alive commands
- Expand the Transfers section and select File Types. Set the Default transfer type to Binary.
- From FileZilla's main menu, click Edit, then Settings. Then click Connection.
- Set the connection Timeout in seconds to 600 and Maximum number of retries to 2.
If you are planning to use Desktop Sync or Storage Sync, you need to select the option to preserve timestamps of transferred files. You can do this from within the main toolbar of FileZilla. Click Transfers in the main toolbar of FileZilla, then Preserve timestamps of transferred files.
Egnyte limits FTP/SFTP users to three concurrent transfers. You can change this setting in FileZilla in the Transfers setting page.
- To add filters, click View in the FileZilla menu and open the Directory listing filters. Click Edit filter rules.
- Create a new filter by selecting New and add filters to exclude filenames with characters not supported in Egnyte. For an updated list, please refer to this article. Click OK once finished.
- Select Useless Explorer files, Temporary and backup files, Configuration files, and the custom filter you created for Egnyte unsupported characters. Then, click OK to enable these filters.
- To connect, click the icon shown below.
Then, click Connect on the Site Manager window.
- Once you connect, you're ready to upload your files. Simply browse your local drive to upload from the Local Site window on the left. Drag the files to an appropriate folder in the Remote Site on the right (e.g. /Shared/Documents).
For troubleshooting FTP/SFTP related issues, we recommend that you enable logging. From FileZilla's main menu, click Edit and then Settings. Select Logging under the File editing section.
Check the box next to Show timestamps in message log and Log to file and specify the location for the log file. Click OK to save the changes.
FileZilla will have to restart to apply these settings.
If your firewall has restrictions and blocks certain ports, you may need to allow the following outbound port(s)
- FTP/FTPES: port (21)
- SFTP/SSH: port (22)
Egnyte uses the following ports below for data transfer:
- 10000 - 12000
- 20000 - 22000