A Legal Hold retains content related to a legal matter, securing all files created by selected users (referred to as custodians) within the specified date range. Typically, legal holds occur when litigation is pending or anticipated, when your company is subject to a government investigation or internal audits, or when any other matter forces your company to hold on to their records. This article will teach you how to create a legal hold policy and make edits to existing legal holds.
Skip Ahead to...
Create a Legal Hold Policy
- From Protect, open the Legal Holds tab and select Add Legal Hold.
- Enter the Legal Hold Name, Description (optional), and Legal Matter.
- If you would like to customize the legal hold further, you can enter a date range so only file versions created during that time will be retained. You can also select a custodian(s), so only file versions last accessed (created, accessed, or deleted) by the selected custodian(s) will be retained.
4. Click Create Legal Hold once all of the information has been entered.
Make Changes to a Legal Hold Policy
- Open the Legal Holds tab, click the three dots next to the legal hold you'd like to adjust, and select the appropriate option from the drop-down.
Edit: Make changes to the existing legal hold policy
Close: Release the files held in retention under the legal hold policy
Delete: For an Open legal hold policy, it releases all documents held in retention and deleted the legal hold policy. For Closed policies, it will only delete the legal hold policy.
- If you selected Edit, click Edit Legal Hold once your changes have been made to apply them to the policy.
View Files Under a Legal Hold
- Open the Legal Holds tab, click the three dots next to the legal hold you'd like to adjust, and select Show results.
- From here, you can select Export File List to download a .xlsx file or click Show file to view the file in Connect.
Download Files Under a Legal Hold
- Open the Legal Holds tab, click the three dots next to the legal hold you'd like to adjust, and click Show results.
- From here, you can click Download Files to download the actual set of files held under the legal hold. You can also specify if you want to include all file versions and recreate the folder structure in the downloaded zip file. After selecting the options, click on Prepare Download.
- Once the download is ready, you will receive a link to download the files in your email inbox.