The Folder Permissions Report allows you to export a CSV file showing all of the permissions for a folder and all of its sub-folders. This report includes a row for each explicit permission set on a folder (i.e., the folder upon which the permission is set). It does not include a row for each sub-folder/descendant that inherits a permission. The report is accessible to Administrators and Power Users with roles that allow for reporting.
If you'd like to learn more, our Reports & Auditing Overview article covers all of the reports available to you.
Run a Report
From the Reports Center, expand Permissions Reports and click Folder Permissions Report.
The new report page will ask you to select what folder or subfolders to pull the report for.
You have three options to choose from:
- Selected folder only: You can choose the /Shared folder (the default) or any other parent folder.
- Selected folder and subfolders: You can choose whether the report should include permissions from the selected folder and all of its descendants (the default) or just the selected folder.
- List all the users within groups: By default, permissions for groups just list the name of the group with the permission. If you check the box for this option, the report will include a separate row for each user in the group.
If you have many group permissions, this can result in a very large report.
If you leave all of the options to the default values, this report will generate a list of all permissions set in the entire domain.
Folder Permissions Report Output
Once you submit the report, the report will run in the background. For large requests, this report can take up to several minutes to run. The report results will be stored in the folder /Shared/Egnyte Reports/Folder Permissions Listing, and you will receive an email and alert once the report has been completed.
If you run a report as a Power User and you don't have access to the folder: /Shared/Egnyte Reports/Folder Permissions Listing, you will find the report in a user-specific folder: /Shared/Egnyte Reports/Reports by Power Users/username/Folder Permissions Listing.
The folder permissions report displays the following information:
- Folder: What folder the permissions were pulled from
- Name*: The first and last name of the user
- Username*: The username for the user
- Email*: The email address for the user
- User Type*: If the user is an Administrator, Power, or Standard User
- Permission: What permission level the user or group has
- Permission Type: Specify if the permissions are assigned to a user or group and whether the permissions are inherited or not
- USER: Permission is explicitly set for this user on this folder
- GROUP: Permission is explicitly set for this group on this folder
- NON_INHERITANCE: Always appears with the permission of None and indicates that the permission for the user/group is lost due to permissions inheritance being disabled for the folder
- INHERITED: Only relevant for the top folder the report was run on. It indicates that a user has permission higher up in the tree (in a folder not included in the report), so the permission is included in the report, so you don't miss that the user does have permissions.
- INHERITED_BY_GROUP: Only relevant for the top folder the report was run on. It indicates that a group has permission higher up in the tree (in a folder not included in the report), so the permission is included in the report, so you don't miss that the group does have permissions.
- Group Name: If the permissions were assigned to a group, the name of the group will be listed
Items marked with an asterisk (*) will be blank if the Permission Type is Group.
Consider the following, where permissions are in parenthesis:
- Projects (user1: Owner, user2: Viewer, group1: Owner)
- Project Alpha (user2: Full, group2: Full)
Budget (Inheritance Disabled, user3: Owner)
- Project Alpha (user2: Full, group2: Full)
If you run a report on /Shared/Projects/Project Alpha you'd see:
/Shared/Projects/Project Alpha, user1, Owner, INHERITED
/Shared/Projects/Project Alpha, group1, Owner, INHERITED_GROUP
/Shared/Projects/Project Alpha, user2, Full, USER
/Shared/Projects/Project Alpha, group2, Full, GROUP
/Shared/Projects/Project Alpha/Budget, user1, None, NON_INHERITANCE
/Shared/Projects/Project Alpha/Budget, user2, None, NON_INHERITANCE
/Shared/Projects/Project Alpha/Budget, group1, None, NON_INHERITANCE
/Shared/Projects/Project Alpha/Budget, group2, None, NON_INHERITANCE
/Shared/Projects/Project Alpha/Budget, user3, Owner, USER
Notes and Limitations
- This report includes a row for each explicit permission set on a folder (i.e., the folder upon which the permission is set). It does not include a row for each sub-folder/descendant that inherits a permission.
- The report includes a row for each explicitly removed permission when the permission had been inherited from the parent folder. Refer to "Why am I seeing “None” in Folder Permissions Reports?" for more details.
- Only one permissions report can be executed at once per Egnyte domain.