Egnyte’s Permissions Audit Report shows how permissions on your Egnyte domain have changed over time. This provides complete auditing of folders shared internally and externally. Any changes made to folder permissions will be captured in a Permissions Audit Report. By the end of this article, you'll be able to run a File Audit Report, understand what each parameter does, and know what's included in the report.
Note: Audit Reports are available for Office plans or higher that purchase the Advanced Security Package.
If you'd like to learn more, our Reports & Auditing Overview article covers all of the reports available to you.
Run a Report
From the Reports Center, expand the Audit section and select Permission Reports.
Click on the + New Report button to begin. You'll need to name the report and choose the parameters for the report.
You may select one or more parameters to narrow down the activity you would like to view.
- Date range: Narrow down auditing by activity day or date range.
Note: Egnyte purges all audit logs older than 3 months.
- Assigner: Narrow auditing report to access given by specific users (assigner). You can search for Any user, specific users (Selected users), or all users from a selected group or groups (Users in selected groups).
- Assignee: See how a user or users (assignee) permissions have changed. You can search for Any user, specific users (Selected users), or all users from a selected group or groups (Users in selected groups).
- Folders: Choose to view activity on specific folders, and folder, or folder names matching a specific term.
Permissions Audit Report Output
When you submit any audit report, you will receive an email and alert within few minutes letting you know that the report is ready for viewing. If it is a smaller audit report, you'll have access to it right away.
Note: Since audit logs for file activity are captured periodically through the day, you may not see activity for the last few hours in your report.
The file audit report displays the following information:
- Date: Provides the time stamp of the activity.
- Path: The path to the folder for which the permissions were changed.
- Changed by: The first name, last name, and email address for the user that changed the permissions (assigner).
- Change type: If the change was made for a specific user (For user), for an entire group (For group), or if a users permissions were changed due to the group permissions changing (Via group for user)