This document outlines the steps for Smart Cache setup and configuration at very high level and for more detailed steps, refer the product guides of the respective hypervisor and for detailed Egnyte University course on setup and configuration.
High-level overview of steps are:
- Navigate to Settings and enable Smart Cache under the Applications section.
- Whitelist 7 Firewall domains
Firewall Whitelist for Smart Cache Ports
- Smart Cache whitelists the Port 443for all communications
- Deploy Smart Cache
- Download Smart Cache. Click the link for more details.
- Once Smart Cache is downloaded, open configuration wizard and click on next to run system check [Optional for Hyper-V & ESXi hypervisors]
- During system configuration, the installer will create a system restore point, disable power save, and enable Hypervisor [Optional for Hyper-V & ESXi hypervisors]
- Import Virtual Machine from the above downloaded path
- Choose the system disk location where Smart Cache's partition disk will be installed
- Select the data disk location. This location will determine the size of the Smart Cache disk.
- Allocate how many GBs of storage you will set for the Smart Cache VM (Refer Product guide -> section “Storage and Sizing Considerations” for sizing guidance)
- Allocate the amount of memory for the Smart Cache VM ( min recommendation: 8GB)
- Allocate the number of virtual processors (cores) you want to set (min recommendation: 4 cores)
- Choose Use existing virtual switch. If there are no virtual switches, you can create a new one by selecting "Create new external virtual switch".
- Start the Smart Cache VM that you provisioned in the step-4
- If the host network does not have a DHCP enabled then assign a static IP address (Refer to product guide section “Set Up Static IP Address for Smart Cache”)
- Egnyte recommends to setup a static IP address before proceeding to next step
- Wait for the below prompt to come up and note the IP address that came up on the user console, which is the Smart Cache VM address.
- Configure Smart Cache device
- Enter Smart Cache device name
- Enter your Egnyte domain name and authorize it with an Egnyte Admin account but a service account is preferred
- Choosing the SC in either Desktop App collaboration or SMB collaboration mode
- Select the required use-cases in case of SMB collaboration mode i.e., either using it for “Revit and Civil 3D collaboration”OR “Data collection” and if required tick the boxes against the encryption and signing checkboxes for enhanced security.
- Select the required folder(s) in Folder synchronization only in case of Desktop App collaboration mode
- Last but not least, the final step to complete the configuration of Smart Cache device is to Grant users access, Set Cache Warming configuration, create custom policies and schedule the Upgrade window time for software maintenance. All these are achieved through an intuitive step-by-step setup wizard UI flow i.e., Setup a new device UI
- Grant user groups or IP address way of accessing SC
- Cache warming configuration
- Creating custom policies either storage or persistence policy for the device
- Software Upgrade schedule window setting
- Summary of the setup wizard and completing the overall configuration steps.
- Ensure that the status of the Smart Cache device is Active as displayed below.
See this link if you are planning to Migrate from Storage Sync to Smart Cache including what an Admin needs to prepare for single or mass deployment of Desktop App for their organization users.
To know more on the benefits of Smart Cache over Storage Sync, see here.