The Egnyte Connect Desktop App (also known as version 2.0 of Egnyte Drive) is now available to all customers for Windows. The app includes an open beta feature that allows users to sync selected folders for offline access. The open beta feature will be disabled by default for all existing Egnyte customers and admins will be able to opt-in to enable the feature for all users on the domain (seethe Enabling sync for the Desktop App section below for more information).
More information about the open beta
The open beta feature is available for all Egnyte customers to opt into and is fully supported. The feature is considered a beta as we're still working on bringing the perfect user experience to your users when it comes to syncing content. Furthermore, we're also working on bringing the same feature to the app on Mac.
Enabling sync for the Desktop App
On May 1, domain administrators can enable the beta feature from the Desktop App section in the Applications tab under the Configuration section in the web interface.
Within 15 minutes of enabling the feature, users with drives connected to the domain will see an additional option in the right click context menu for folders to Sync for offline access.
Known limitations in the beta
The beta feature is being released with the following limitations:
- If you select a folder for sync, you cannot exclude any of its child folders from sync.
- If a file cannot be synchronized due to insufficient permissions, it will have a red X next to the file name without any other indication from the UI.
- There is no way to determine exact progress of a sync (eg. % progress), however there is a systray icon that is displayed when a sync or upload is in progress.
- You may not unsync a folder which contains a file that is opened (ie. all files in the folder must be closed before you can unsync content from the folder). This is by design.
- Moving content between folders marked for sync and folders that are not marked for sync is not currently allowed. Copying, however, is allowed.
- When you remove your drive or uninstall, synchronized files will be removed for the drive from the user's %localappdata%\EgnyteDrive\offline folder. Unsynchronized files will be preserved at offline folder location.
- We only support copying folders which are not synchronized for offline access when the machine has internet connectivity. If you do attempt to copy a folder that is only available when online when you do not have internet connectivity, there is a small chance that you will see 0 byte files at the target location. In most cases, Windows explorer will block you from completing the copy operation.
- The following Desktop sync features are not supported in the Desktop App:
- Device entitlement (if device entitlement is turned on, the option to sync will not show on ANY device)
- Sync exclusions by file extension (all file extensions are uploaded to the cloud)
- Remote wipe (the option to remotely wipe content from an instance of Desktop App will not be available).