The Egnyte Connect Desktop App includes a feature that allows users to sync selected folders for offline access, so they can always access pertinent information. A copy of these files are stored locally on your device, and any changes you make while offline are automatically synced back to the cloud once you re-establish an internet connection.
Skip Ahead to...
Sync for Offline Access
Open the Desktop App drive (or volume) from Window's File Explorer or Mac's Finder. Right click on the folder you want to sync and click Sync for offline access.
If you do not see this feature, your Administrator has disabled the option to sync. Please reach out to them for additional information.
Known Behaviors and Limitations
The feature has the following known limitations:
- You can sync a folder and exclude any of its subfolders from syncing, with the following limitations:
- Renaming excluded folders or any of their parent folders is only allowed when connected to the internet.
- Excluded folders can’t be moved to different folders on the Desktop App. The Web UI can be used as an alternative.
- Moving content between folders marked for sync and folders that are not marked for sync is not currently allowed in the Desktop App. However, copying or moving the folder through the web UI is allowed.
- The maximum number of files you can sync for offline access is 500,000 per user on the machine.
When it comes to preserving unsynchronized content, the following behaviors apply:
- When you remove your drive or unsync a folder, any unsynchronized files will be moved to a folder on your desktop.
- When you uninstall the app, synchronized content will remain inside the %localappdata%\EgnyteDrive\offline folder.
Ready for more? Use the resources below to keep learning about the Desktop App.