Many of Egnyte customers repeatedly use the same structure of files or folders in their processes. The use cases might be different; however, as an illustration, you can see a couple of examples below:
- Company A has a default presentation template that should be used by all employees to keep the branding and messaging consistent externally.
- Company B works on several projects. Any project should include the same static list of folders due to public regulations.
As we see, our customers do copies of files and folders; we want to improve the processes and allow easier management and access to the templates.
File & Folder templates are not available for trial domains by default (please contact the Egnyte support team for more details).
File & Folder Templates
File & Folder template capability allows having “template files” and “template folders” in one place so that it is easier to manage them and provide access to end-users.
- The system creates the following three folders:
- /Shared/Egnyte Templates
- /Shared/Egnyte Templates/File Templates
- /Shared/Egnyte Templates/Folder Templates
File templates should be uploaded to "/Shared/Egnyte Templates/File Templates" while folder templates should be uploaded to "/Shared/Egnyte Templates/Folder Templates":
By giving Viewer permissions to "/Shared/Egnyte Templates/File Templates" and "/Shared/Egnyte Templates/Folder Templates," users will be able to easily create a file or folder from a template by using the "New" button in the folder view.
By giving Editor permissions to "/Shared/Egnyte Templates/File Templates" and "/Shared/Egnyte Templates/Folder Templates," users might be able to control and edit templates that are available under the “New” button in the folder view.
To edit a File/Folder template, the user needs to go to the folder "/Shared/Egnyte Templates/File Templates" (for File Templates) and to "/Shared/Egnyte Templates/Folder Templates” (for Folder Templates) and edit the templates there as they would do for regular files/folders.
Editing a File/Folder Template will not change files/folders that have been created earlier using the File/Folder Templates.
Limitations and Known Issues
Please see below for some existing limitations:
- If a user (or admin) adds a File/Folder template and tries to see whether it is immediately available under the "New" button and does not see the just added template there, it might be necessary to reload the web page first.
- If a user has permission to File Templates but not to Folder Templates, a user will not see any folder templates from the “New” menu.
- Egnyte requires using names for the folders, as written above. Otherwise, users might not be able to see and use templates successfully.
- Egnyte supports only a flat structure for file templates for now. With, e.g., File Templates folder, any folder or files in sub-folders will not be taken into account.
- Egnyte supports only a flat structure for folder templates for now. E.g., Folder Templates, only folders under /folder Templates can be used from the “New” menu. Note: When creating a folder template, it will take into account all sub-folders.
- File & Folder template capability is available in Web UI and Egnyte Android applications only.