Although we can store QuickBooks backup data, we currently cannot host the QuickBooks application or database on our servers (e.g. you cannot edit a QuickBooks file directly from Egnyte servers or appliances). This is due to the fact that QuickBooks is built like a client server application and requires access to multiple underlying system files to edit your records.
If you wish to have multiple users access the QuickBooks file, you can create a portable QuickBooks file and upload that to your Egnyte server. The portable copy allows you to download the file locally on another machine which can then be modified and placed back on the Egnyte server. This provides a way for changes to be made by multiple users and for the file to be transferred. However, a simultaneous editing process of a single QuickBooks file by multiple users on Egnyte is currently not possible.
DO NOT use a portable file if you need to work on your company file at the same time with other users. You cannot merge changes made by the other person into your company file. Intuit recommends an accountant's copy if you need to merge the changes to the main company file.
Further instructions for creating a QB portable file can be found here.
Performing a QuickBooks Backup with Egnyte
You may use the Egnyte Sync to backup your QuickBooks data. Since Egnyte Sync data is synchronized to your Egnyte cloud file server, the sync effectively backs up your QB backup files on a regular basis to the cloud.
- Install Desktop Sync, Storage Sync, or the Desktop App on your local machine.
- From the QuickBooks File menu, select Backup Company then Create Local Backup.
- On the Create Backup window, select Local Backup then click the Options button.
- Click Browse.
- From the drop-down list in the Save in field, select a location on your Desktop Sync or Desktop App directory where you will be able to find the back up easily later, e.g., \Egnyte\Shared\QB Backups\.
- Click OK.
- The next sync will upload the QB backup file to your Egnyte Cloud file server. The number of versions to keep can be set to your preference.
For detailed instructions on scheduling a QuickBooks backup, click here.