Want a seamless migration experience? Use Egnyte's Cloud Migration Manager! Migrate your files, folders, and permissions from an on-premises server to Egnyte with an intuitive UI.
To use FTP, you first need to set the proper settings to allow Windows Explorer to connect to the FTP server.
Note: FTP is only available to Admins and Power Users.
FTP is available for Office, Business, and Enterprise plans
- Open "Control Panel" via your start menu and double click on Internet Options.
- Select the Advanced tab at the top and scroll down to "Enable FTP folder view" (outside of Internet Explorer) and make sure it is checked.
- Scroll down to "Use Passive FTP" (for Firewall and DSL modem compatibility) and make sure it is checked. Click OK to save these settings.
- Open your start menu and click on My Network Places.
- Click on Add Network Place.
- The "Add Network Place Wizard" will open; click on the Next button.
- Select the "Choose another network location" option and click Next.
- Enter the FTP address for your domain, e.g. ftp://ftp-acme.egnyte.com (replace acme with your Egnyte domain name). Click Next to continue.
- Make sure Log on anonymously is NOT checked.
- Enter your username (Example: jsmith$acme). The format to enter username and password is egnyteusername$egnytedomainname.
- Click Next to continue.
- Enter a name to call this connection, (Example: Acme FTP). Click Next to continue.
- Make sure "Open this network place when I click Finish" is checked, and click Finish.
- Enter your password for the Egnyte username you specified in step 10 earlier and check the box to *Save password* if you're on a trusted computer. Click the *Log On* button.
- You have completed the setup of FTP via Windows Explorer.
- In the future, all you will need to do is go to My Network Places and you will see the FTP connection that you named in step 12.
- Open Computer by clicking the "Start" button, and then clicking Computer.
- Right-click anywhere in the folder, and then click Add a Network Location.
- In the wizard, select Choose a custom network location, and then click Next.
- Enter the name of the FTP site, ftp://ftp-acme.egnyte.com (replace acme with your Egnyte domain name). Click Next to continue.
- To use a name and password, clear the Log on anonymously check box. Type a user name (Example: jsmith$acme), and then click Next. The format to enter username and password is egnyteusername$egnytedomainname
- To have the FTP site open when you're done setting up the shortcut, just click Next. If you do not want the FTP site to open after you're done setting up the shortcut, clear the Open this network location when I click Finish check box. Click Finish.
- A shortcut to the FTP site appears in the Computer folder. You can drag that shortcut to your desktop so that it's easy to find later.
Note: When you first connect to the FTP site, you’ll be prompted for a password. Select the Save password check box if you want Windows to remember that password and connect you directly to the site in the future.