Smart Cache ver 3.8 Release Date: July 29, 2022
Data Collection for Smart Cache
We are excited to introduce Data Collection capability in Smart Cache. This capability allows multiple users or service accounts to upload files to the Smart Cache over UNC path or native drive letter (SMB). This capability is particularly important for use cases such as Life Sciences customer scenarios where multiple lab instruments within a single lab are required to upload data files over the UNC path and yet have a distinctive audit trace for each service account. Another common scenario is for construction job sites where field engineers drag-and-drop construction photos and high-res videos from external hard drives or SSD’s to a native drive letter.
Key highlights of this capability include:
- This capability allows Smart Cache to present a UNC path (for example \\22.214.171.124\scache\Shared) and a network drive letter without requiring a Desktop App agent
- Smart Cache can now bind with a customer’s Active Directory (AD) infrastructure
- Smart Cache automatically maps AD users with the corresponding Egnyte Power User. This implies that the AD user name must be identical with the Power User name. Conversely, Smart Cache does not have manual mapping capability to map non-matching names
- Active Directory to Cloud user mapping happens on demand and only at the time when the AD user mounts the native drive letter or UNC path to the Smart Cache
- Files uploaded to Smart Cache are immediately uploaded to Egnyte cloud and evicted from the Smart Cache. This new capability on Smart Cache keeps the storage footprint of Smart Cache in check by automatically removing uploaded files. The uploaded files are available on Egnyte cloud
-This capability is not intended for user collaboration or user file edits and as such has limited functionality targeted for file uploads. User collaboration or file edits over the Data Collection drive letter might result in unintended consequences to the file.
-This is not meant as a migration tool for the first time onboarding
-Smart Cache can be configured either as a data collection device or for user-collaboration over Desktop App. Both these modes are mutually exclusive.
- Addressed an issue where certain uncommon cache operations resulted in the Smart Cache becoming unavailable