MS Outlook v 1.0. 1.2, 1.3 March, April, June 2nd, 2022.
Egnyte for Outlook brings Egnyte content directly into Outlook installed on your PC, Mac or Outlook on the web. With this integration, Egnyte Users will be able to share links to files or folders to others securely and will be able to store emails, as well as email attachments directly into the Egnyte. Since users are sending shared links in their email messages – not actual files – you preserve any security restrictions and keep Egnyte as a source of truth for your enterprise content.
This integration is located under Apps & Integrations and is named "Egnyte for Outlook".
For the setup you need:
- Microsoft Office 365 Global Admin Account to Deploy Add-in via Enterprise Integrated Apps
- Egnyte Account and Users to have an active Outlook Email client installed or on the web.
Supported Client (Outlook) Configurations by Microsoft
The client must be one of the supported applications for Outlook add-ins. The following clients support add-ins. Egnyte for Outlook will support the last three versions.
- Outlook 2016 or later on Windows (connected to a Microsoft 365 subscription)
- Outlook 2016 or later on Mac (connected to a Microsoft 365 subscription)
- Outlook on the web for Exchange 2016 or later
- Outlook on the web for Exchange 2016
- Outlook.com on Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari Browsers
- The client must be connected to an Exchange server or Microsoft 365 using a direct connection. When configuring the client, the user must choose an Exchange, Office, or Outlook.com account type. If the client is configured to connect with POP3 or IMAP, add-ins will NOT load.
If you don't see Egnyte Add-in and support versions outside of what's listed here, please contact Microsoft Support. All of the newest features are supported in clients per Microsoft documentation, which is outside of Egnyte's integration jurisdiction as its partner product. Hence, we ask for the latest updates, and for office server requirements, refer to the Microsoft Outlook add-in requirements.
Supported Office Licenses by Microsoft
- Version 1701 or later of Microsoft 365 Business licenses (Business Basic, Business Standard, Business Premium), Office 365 Enterprise licenses (E1/E3/E5/F3), or Microsoft 365 Enterprise licenses (E3/E5/F3).
- Version 1808 or later of Office Professional Plus 2019 or Office Standard 2019.
- Version 16.0.4494.1000 or later of Office Professional Plus 2016 (MSI) or Office Standard 2016 (MSI)
- Version 15.0.4937.1000 or later of Office Professional Plus 2013 (MSI) or Office Standard 2013 (MSI).
- Version 16.0.9318.1000 or later of Office 2016 for Mac.
For the latest on Office licenses, refer to Microsoft instructions here.
Configuring Outlook Add-in as an Admin
1. In Egnyte, as an Admin, navigate to Apps & Integrations
2. Scroll down to the Individual Tiles and look for the Egnyte for Outlook App.
3. This integration requires external configuration in the Microsoft environment. Please see below section.
Sections below will provide a guide on how to install this add-in within Microsoft Environment during and provide options as a best practice guide.
Deploy Egnyte for Outlook as an Admin.
For O365 Admins, Microsoft offers 2 options:
A. Outlook add-in is certified and can be installed from the Microsoft 365 AppSource here. Click Get it now and follow the wizard to get this deployed to your organization (recommended)
Admins who deployed Egnyte for Outlook in Beta should Remove app the app as deployed per this step, and re-deploy it from the Microsoft 365 AppSource as mentioned above per link.
It is only required once, and only if you enrolled and provisioned this app during Beta. Any subsequent changes will be auto-deployed to organization users.
B. The Egnyte for Outlook app can be deployed centrally from Microsoft Admin Center. Deploying Apps in Microsoft Admin Center: Microsoft Instructions for more details and reference. (not recommended)
1. Log in to the Office 365 admin center and navigate to Settings > Services and Add-ins
2. Go to > Integrated apps, and Select Upload custom apps.
3. In the next screen, under Upload custom app choose the option `Provide a link to manifest file` and paste the link: https://storage.googleapis.com/pint-assets/ms-outlook-addin/manifest/production/manifest.xml.
Click the Validate, After successful validation, proceeds to the next step.
4. The system displays a screen describing the Egnyte Add-in. Click Next.
5. In the Add Users - when the Assign Users screen displays, choose the option from below.
- Just me
- The entire organization (recommended)
- Specific users/groups
Verify if everything is okay and confirm and go to the next step. Click Next.
6. Review Permissions for the Egnyte for Outlook App permissions and select Next.
7. Agree to the App permissions and select Accept.
Administrator consent for Microsoft Outlook Integration - Microsoft graph explained here.
|Permission||Details||Why does the app need this?|
|Read user and shared mail||
Allows the app to read mail a user can access, including their own and shared mail.
|Required to read mail subject, content and attachments to perform upload to Egnyte|
|Maintain access to data you have given it access to||Allows the app to see and update the data you gave it access to, even when users are not currently using the app. This does not give the app any additional permissions||Required to reliably perform the transfer operation in a backend service rather than on a device|
|Sign in and read user profile||Allows users to sign-in to the app, and allows the app to read the profile of signed-in users. It also allows the app to read basic company information of signed-in users||Required to authenticate the user|
8. Review the settings. Click the Finish deployment at bottom of the screen.
9. Once the deployment process is completed, click Done. It may take up to 6 hours for the add-in to appear in the Outlook Mail client or even up to 24 hours. See Microsoft's documentation for more details.
The Egnyte add-in button displays for everyone you've added. Everyone using this add-in for the first time must complete a one-time authentication when the system prompts them to log in to Egnyte and grant access. This is only needed once per client and is explained in the user guide.
Manage or Remove Egnyte for Outlook
For O365 Admins
1. Go to the Office 365 admin center and navigate to Settings > Services and Add-ins.
2. Click Egnyte for Outlook App. Click Edit Users or Edit Configuration options.
3. It would pop up the screen on the side. Admin can update the add-in manifest link (https://storage.googleapis.com/pint-assets/ms-outlook-addin/manifest/production/manifest.xml), can remove the Egnyte for Outlook app, and can also add /edit users from here.
Any changes will take effect in 6-24 hours per Microsoft documentation to show up in Outlook clients.
- Egnyte for Outlook integration works only for Office365 customers.
- The integration cannot detect when you are dragging and dropping a file from your local device into an email. To attach a file, you must double-click to select it.
- Outlook add-ins are different from COM or VSTO add-ins, which are older integrations specific to Outlook running on Windows. Unlike COM add-ins, Outlook add-ins don't have any code physically installed on the user's device or Outlook and are supported via Office Store and add-in program. So if you have installed Outlook.COM Add-in on windows, we recommend disabling it.
- Egnyte for Outlook integration will not be supported on on-premises implementations of Exchange.
- Admins who deployed "Egnyte for Outlook" in Beta should remove app from Integrated store per this article, and re-deploy it from the Microsoft 365 AppSource per Step A. It is only required once, and only if you enrolled in Beta previously. All subsequent changes can be auto-deployed to organization users, as this is recommended option by Microsoft for certified applications.
Uninstall Guide for Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop (Older .COM-based Integration for Windows)
More details on Microsoft Deployment Guide for Office Admins via Integrated Apps
This integration is available to all Egnyte plans If you have questions. If you have questions, please reach out to your CSMs and report issues to firstname.lastname@example.org.