Egnyte Cloud Copy is a product offering on Egnyte Connect that allows IT administrators to seamlessly migrate data from one Egnyte domain to another. Here are a few scenarios why customers might want to migrate data between two Egnyte domains:
Customer has project folders that have not been accessed by users in a long time. Such archival folders can have storage and cost implications for the customer. Hence she might want to consider creating a secondary Egnyte archival domain with lower storage cost and migrating such folders to the archive domain.
Customer has an Egnyte domain that was originally hosted on a US data center. A few years later, the customer wants to move the data to another data center (possibly in Europe) for reasons such as proximity to data for access, data sovereignty compliance or for other reasons.
In either of these scenarios, Egnyte Cloud Copy can be used to copy the data from one Egnyte domain to another.
What Egnyte Cloud Copy Can Do
|Migration Source||Egnyte Domain|
|Migration Target||Egnyte Domain|
Files and all its versions will be copied from source domain to target. The last modified time for the files and associated versions is preserved.
Yes (all versions)
All the file versions are copied to destination Egnyte domain. If the destination domain has version policy to restrict to a specific number of versions, the policy will be enforced only after the versions are migrated to the destination.
|Size of Migration||
1 million files and versions
The supported size of folders for migration is 1 million. Folder size can be checked by going to Reports, then Folder Size Report on the source domain and checking the size of a folder for migration.
|Migrate Folder Hierarchy||
When a folder is selected for migration, all the sub-folders and files contained within the selected folder are recursively copied to the destination domain.
If the folder selected for migration is nested deep inside the top-level folder hierarchy, the top-level hierarchy will be implicitly created during migration. For e.g. if the selected folder for migration is Shared/Sales/EMEA/SDR, and Sales/EMEA does not exist in the destination domain, it will get implicitly created during migration.
You can download a report that provides a migration summary and also lists all the files that were migrated for the specific migration job.
What Egnyte Cloud Copy Cannot Do
|Third-party cloud for migration||
Egnyte Cloud Copy can only be used to migrate data between two Egnyte domains.
Egnyte Cloud Copy cannot be used even if the destination Egnyte domain is configured with third-party cloud storage (Azure, Amazon or Google).
|Users and Groups||
Egnyte Cloud Copy does not migrate users and groups.
Folder permissions are not migrated to the destination domain. Administrator for the destination domain is the owner of the migrated folder.
|Links and extended attributes||
Egnyte Cloud Copy cannot copy data from Trash on the source domain.
Egnyte Cloud Copy does not support custom policies such as migrate files only if they are older than a year, or migrate only the latest version of files etc. We will consider rolling out policies based on customer feedback and business needs.
|Detect changes on source domain||
Egnyte Cloud Copy cannot migrate data true-ups. In other words, it cannot detect changes to files and folders on the source domain during or after a migration completes.
|Delete data on source after migration||
The data is retained as-is on the source domain. If the folder requires to be purged after migration, the IT administrator will have to delete the folder on the source domain after the migration completes.
Best Practices for Cloud Migration
- Identify source folders by size: If you plan to identify folders that consume a lot of cloud storage, you can create a Folder Size Report from Egnyte as shown below. This will give you a detailed list regarding which folders consume the most storage space.
- Migrate folders with 1 million objects: The Folder Size Report also provides a breakdown on the number of files and versions contained within each sub-folder. Ensure that the folder selected for migration conforms to the 1 million size limit.
- Restrict user access on source folder: Before migration, consider restricting the access to the source folder. This will ensure that there are no user-changes to files while the migration is ongoing.
- Migrate only certain number of versions: Egnyte Cloud Copy does not support migration of only a certain number of versions. However if you want to enforce such a restriction, you can set the destination domain with a policy that limits to certain number of versions. Even though all the files and versions will get migrated to the destination domain, the Version Control Policy on the destination domain will prune the version count in the next maintenance window.
1. Request to enable Egnyte Cloud Copy on source domain: Create a Support Ticket with Title "Request to cloud copy: <Domain Name>". In the subject, indicate the following fields
- Source Domain
- Target Domain: If possible, please do not create the Target Domain and instead let Egnyte provision the domain for you. This will allow Egnyte to load-balance the backing infrastructure for maximizing the operational efficiency.
- Expected Start of Migration Date
2. Enable Egnyte Cloud Copy App: When Egnyte completes step 1, you require to enable the Egnyte Cloud Copy App. In order to do so, sign in to the source domain on the Web UI and click on Apps and Integrations.
Search for Egnyte Cloud Copy in the search tab.
Hover your mouse pointer over the Egnyte Cloud Copy app, and click Enable Integration.
Enable Egnyte Cloud Copy for all users and click on OK to complete.
Note: Cloud Copy will appear only for the Admin users even though you have selected Added for all users.
3. Once you enable Egnyte Cloud Copy, you will see the following option in the source domain:
4. Select the folder that needs to be migrated. You can select only 1 folder at a time. You will see an option for Cloud Copy folder. Click on that option.
5. This will open a new browser tab and display a warning. Click Proceed to cmmcloud...
6. This will bring you to the Egnyte Cloud Copy start page. Click Connect a domain.
7. Enter the destination domain (<domainname.egnyte.com>) and click Continue.
8. You will be redirected to the destination domain sign-in page. Enter the admin credentials and click Log in.
9. Click Allow Access in order for Egnyte Cloud Copy to copy data to the destination domain.
10. This will redirect you to the Egnyte Cloud Copy migration page. Ensure that the destination folder for migration is correct and click Start Copy job.
11. This will start the migration and display the progress.
12. You can track the migration job at any time from your source domain by clicking on More and selecting View Egnyte Cloud Copy Jobs.
13. Once the cloud copy completes, you can download the migration report by clicking on Download Report.