Egnyte currently offers two applications that allow you to access files from the cloud right from your desktop: Desktop Sync and Desktop App.
- Desktop Sync syncs and stores Egnyte content locally on your computer.
- Desktop App allows you to access all files and folders that you have access to in the cloud without having to store every file on your computer. The Desktop App also allows you to sync content locally for offline access.
Egnyte recommends using the Desktop App due to its versatility and the fact that you can also sync content with it.
|Access all files without needing to store everything||No||Yes|
|Automatically lock open files in the cloud to prevent conflicts||No||Yes|
|Sync selected folders for offline access||Yes||Yes|
|Access multiple Egnyte domains from the same machine||No||Yes|
|Support for multiple users per machine||No||Yes|
|Update files in real time||Yes||Yes|
|Work with 3rd party integrations||No||Yes|
|Desktop folder redirection||Yes||No|
|Non-Desktop folder redirection||Yes||Yes|
|Automatically connect to on-premises Turbo devices||No||Yes|
|(Admin feature) Control access through device entitlement||Yes||Yes|
|(Admin feature) Remote wipe||Yes||Yes|
How to switch from using Desktop Sync to using the Desktop App
- Step 1: Uninstall Desktop Sync - stop here if you already have the Desktop App installed.
Note that your Desktop Sync local data folder will still remain in place.
- Step 2: Download the Desktop App installer
- Step 3: Install Desktop App by running the installer
- Step 4: Add a drive, sign in to your Egnyte account
- Step 1: Upgrade to the latest version of Desktop Sync
If you're not yet on the latest version of Desktop Sync, we recommend upgrading to the latest version for the best experience.
Standard silent install script
msiexec /i EgnyteDesktopSync_x.x.x.msi /qn
For more information about mass deployment, please review this guide.
- Step 2: Mass uninstall Desktop Sync
Please ensure you are running under user account that has admin privileges. Examples of uninstalling script in command-line:
Standard silent uninstallation with no restart
msiexec /x EgnyteDesktopSync_x.x.x.msi /qn /norestart
- Step 3: Mass install Desktop App
The example script below will silently install the Desktop App. In the example provided, every local user on the machine will have one drive added to acme.egnyte.com with Z as the drive letter and 'acme' as the drive label. The script also forces a mandatory restart of the machine.
msiexec /i EgnyteConnect_x.x.x.msi ED_SILENT=1 ED_DRIVE_DOMAIN=acme ED_DRIVE_LABEL=acme ED_DRIVE_LETTER=Z /qn /forcerestart
For more advanced install and configuration options, please review this Windows mass deployment guide.