A Service Account is an Egnyte account that is meant to be used by an application instead of by a user. Examples of applications include Storage Sync, Turbo, or applications built with the Egnyte API. With applications like these, the account is not using Egnyte interactively. Service Accounts can be set as Administrator or Power User accounts. A user license will be used when a new Service Account is created.
Set up a Service Account for the account used to add an Egnyte Connect source in Protect.
Service Accounts differ from other accounts in the following ways:
- Service Accounts cannot be used with interactive applications such as the Egnyte Web UI, desktop, or mobile apps.
- Service Accounts are not subject to password expiry rules (for Egnyte authenticated Service Accounts). Service Accounts’ passwords do not expire in order to eliminate the downtime of an application that would normally occur if the password expires.
- Service Accounts are not subject to requirements for Two-Step Login Verification.
- Service Accounts do not need to have a unique email address. A Service Account can use the same email address as another user in your Egnyte account. The email address for a Service Account is used purely for email notifications and not for authentication.
- Service Account email addresses do not require email verification.
- Administrators can set the password of a service account.