This guide applies to all 4.x.x versions of the Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop. Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop is an upgrade to the Egnyte Outlook Add-in.
Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop is supported on the following versions of Windows:
- Windows 7 (32 and 64-bit)
- Windows 8 (32 and 64-bit)
- Windows 10 (32 and 64-bit)
The following versions of Office are supported:
- Office 2010 for Windows (32 and 64-bit)
- Office 2013 for Windows (32 and 64-bit)
- Office 2016 for Windows (32 and 64-bit)
The Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop MSI will complete installation regardless of whether Microsoft Office is installed.
Installing the Add-in
The installer can be run using any one of the follow methods:
- Double clicking the .MSI file.
- From the command-line by using MSIEXEC with the optional command-line parameters described in the ‘Installation Options’ section below.
- Using an MSI mass deployment tool. See the section on Installing the Add-in using Mass Deployment Tools for more details.
Command-line Installation Options
The following optional installation parameters are available when installing from the command-line:
- INSTALLDIR - sets the absolute installation path for the installer (this can also be set in interactive installation mode). If an installation path is not specified, the add-in will be installed to the users application data folder (typically “C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Egnyte Office Add-in\”). Note that installing to the default directory will allow silent automatic updates to the add-in.
- DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE - this is an optional parameter that disables silent auto-updates of the add-in. Set to “TRUE” to disable auto update.
- DOMAIN_NAME - sets the Egnyte domain name for the add-in. E.g., if the login URL for your Egnyte domain is: https://acme.egnyte.com then you could set this parameter to “acme”.
Example command-line installation call:
msiexec /i EgnyteOfficeAddin_v4.x.x.msi INSTALLDIR=”C:\Egnyte Office Add-in” DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE=TRUE DOMAIN_NAME=acme /qn
Uninstallation should ideally be done with the same command-line flags but with the /i parameter replaced with a /x.
msiexec /x EgnyteOfficeAddin_v4.x.x.msi INSTALLDIR=”C:\Egnyte Office Add-in” DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE=TRUE DOMAIN_NAME=acme /qn
Installing the Add-in using Mass Deployment Tools
Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop can be installed using mass deployment tools (for example through Group Policy). If deploying in this manner, the following command-line parameters must be set:
- INSTALLDIR - must be set. The value must be a directory that is not within a user’s application data folder (e.g. INSTALLDIR=”C:\Program Files (x86)\Egnyte Office Add-in” is acceptable). This will ensure that the add-in is enabled for all users on machines where the add-in is deployed.
- DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE - must be set to ‘TRUE’ (i.e. DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE=TRUE). Most users in an environment with mass deployment will not have the local admin privileges needed to run updates for installations outside of their application data folders so auto-updates are not possible in mass deployment scenarios.
- ALLUSERS=1 - to ensure a per-machine installation is used.
If installing via mass deployment, ensure that a ‘per-machine’ installation is used. If the add-in is installed through a batch script or command-line parameters, this can be forced by using ALLUSERS=1. For example:
msiexec /i EgnyteOfficeAddin_v4.x.x.msi INSTALLDIR=”C:\Program Files (x86)\Egnyte Office Add-in” DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE=TRUE DOMAIN_NAME=acme ALLUSERS=1 /qn
To uninstall the add-in through mass deployment, we recommend using the same command-line parameters that were used during installation with the /i flag replaced with a /x:
msiexec /x EgnyteOfficeAddin_v4.x.x.msi INSTALLDIR=”C:\Program Files (x86)\Egnyte Office Add-in” DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE=TRUE DOMAIN_NAME=acme ALLUSERS=1 /qn
Upgrading from Older Versions
The Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop upgrades any older version of the Egnyte Outlook Add-in. Prior to installing version 4.x.x of the add-in, the installer will silently remove any existing version of the Egnyte Outlook Add-in. This will occur whether the existing version was installed using a previous version of the MSI installer or the ClickOnce installer (only applies to 2.x versions of the Egnyte Outlook Add-in).