This article applies to all 4.x.x versions of the Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop. Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop is an upgrade to the Egnyte Outlook Add-in.
Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop is supported on the following versions of Windows:
- Windows 10
Egnyte ended support for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 on January 14th, 2020.
Desktop versions of Word, Excel, Powerport and Outlook with Office 365 are supported
The Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop MSI will complete installation regardless of whether Microsoft Office is installed.
Installing the Add-in
The installer can be run using any one of the follow methods:
- Double clicking the .MSI file.
- From the command-line by using MSIEXEC with the optional command-line parameters described in the ‘Installation Options’ section below.
- Using an MSI mass deployment tool. See the section on Installing the Add-in using Mass Deployment Tools for more details.
Command Line Installation Options
The following optional installation parameters are available when installing from the command line:
- INSTALLDIR: Sets the absolute installation path for the installer (this can also be set in interactive installation mode). If an installation path is not specified, the add-in will be installed to the users application data folder (typically “C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Egnyte Office Add-in\”).
Note: Installing to the default directory will allow silent automatic updates to the add-in.
- DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE: This is an optional parameter that disables silent auto-updates of the add-in. Set to TRUE to disable auto update.
- DOMAIN_NAME: Sets the Egnyte domain name for the add-in (e.g. If the login URL for your Egnyte domain is: https://acme.egnyte.com then you could set this parameter to acme).
- USE_SSO: If set to 1 (USE_SSO=1) and a DOMAIN_NAME is specified, the user will automatically be prompted to login with the SSO provider set up for the specified domain whenever a login prompt is thrown. If the user already has an active SSO session in Internet Explorer, the active session will be used to automatically sign them in.
Example command line installation call:
msiexec /i EgnyteOfficeAddin_v4.x.x.msi INSTALLDIR=”C:\Egnyte Office Add-in” DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE=TRUE DOMAIN_NAME=acme /qn
Example command line installation call for domains that use SSO (will automatically prompt the user to sign in using SSO):
msiexec /i EgnyteOfficeAddin_v4.x.x.msi INSTALLDIR=”C:\Egnyte Office Add-in” DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE=TRUE DOMAIN_NAME=acme USE_SSO=1 /qn
Uninstallation should ideally be done with the same command line flags but with the /i parameter replaced with a /x.
msiexec /x EgnyteOfficeAddin_v4.x.x.msi INSTALLDIR=”C:\Egnyte Office Add-in” DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE=TRUE DOMAIN_NAME=acme /qn
Per-Machine Installations and Mass Deployments
Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop can be installed using mass deployment tools (for example through Group Policy). If deploying in this manner, the following command-line parameters must be set to ensure that the client is being installed in a per-machine context:
- INSTALLDIR - must be set. The value must be a directory that is accessible to all users on the machine (e.g. INSTALLDIR=”C:\Program Files (x86)\Egnyte Office Add-in” is acceptable). This will ensure that the add-in is enabled for all users on machines where the add-in is deployed.
- DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE - must be set to ‘TRUE’ (i.e. DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE=TRUE). Most users in an environment with mass deployment will not have the local admin privileges needed to run updates for installations outside of their application data folders so auto-updates are not possible in mass deployment scenarios.
- ALLUSERS=1 - to ensure a per-machine installation is used.
If installing via mass deployment, ensure that a ‘per-machine’ installation is used. If the add-in is installed through a batch script or command-line parameters, this can be forced by using ALLUSERS=1. For example:
msiexec /i EgnyteOfficeAddin_v4.x.x.msi INSTALLDIR=”C:\Program Files (x86)\Egnyte Office Add-in” DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE=TRUE DOMAIN_NAME=acme ALLUSERS=1 /qn
To uninstall the add-in through mass deployment, we recommend using the same command-line parameters that were used during installation with the /i flag replaced with a /x:
msiexec /x EgnyteOfficeAddin_v4.x.x.msi INSTALLDIR=”C:\Program Files (x86)\Egnyte Office Add-in” DISABLE_AUTOUPDATE=TRUE DOMAIN_NAME=acme ALLUSERS=1 /qn
Upgrading from Older Versions
The Egnyte for Microsoft Office Desktop upgrades any older version of the Egnyte Outlook Add-in. Prior to installing version 4.x.x of the add-in, the installer will silently remove any existing version of the Egnyte Outlook Add-in. This will occur whether the existing version was installed using a previous version of the MSI installer or the ClickOnce installer (only applies to 2.x versions of the Egnyte Outlook Add-in).