For IT Administrators
Beginning with Desktop Sync version 7.8, IT administrators who are installing Desktop Sync on behalf of another user must use the MSI installation instructions located here. IT Admins must not "clone" (manually copy application file and folders) from an existing installation as this can lead to sync errors.
Installing Desktop Sync
The following instructions will apply for any user installing Desktop Sync in "non-silent" mode. If you are installing Desktop Sync without the help of an IT administrator, you will follow these steps.
1. After you download and open the .msi file, select "Next" in the following screen.
2. The next screen asks you to select a place on your desktop for your synced files. Here you are selecting the location of the root directory where your Egnyte files will "live."
3. Click the "Install" button to complete the installation process.
4. Once installation completes, you'll see the Egnyte icon in your system tray and as a shortcut on the desktop.
5. When you click the Egnyte logo for the first time, you will see this localhost (http://127.0.0.1:8806) authentication screen. You can login with either your email address or your username. Note: entering a username only will prompt you to enter a domain.
6. This page will be displayed if you are a current Egnyte customer. If you are on a trial, this page will be skipped.
Select the folders you want to sync. With Egnyte, you can be selective about which sub-folders you want to sync. You do not have to sync the entire contents of a folder. Be cautious the first time you sync: depending on your local internet connection and the types of files you keep in Egnyte, this initial synchronization can take a little while.
7. Synchronization will begin.
8. You can monitor the status of synchronization from this view in the Home page.
Upgrading Desktop Sync
1. Download and open the latest version of Desktop Sync.
2. Click "Next."
3. Click the "Update" button.
Uninstalling Desktop Sync
Desktop Sync is easy to uninstall, just select the uninstall option from the Desktop Sync program folder.
Desktop Sync 8.0 includes a utility "update_config.exe" to configure the list of subscribed folders and the sync frequency for users. This feature is useful for admins who want to preconfigure Desktop Sync for their users after installation.
remoteFolders: comma separated list for folder selections (i.e. "/Shared/Projects","/Private")
syncType: realtime | none
Example: From command line, Run: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Egnyte Local Cloud\update_config.exe" remote_folders=/Private sync_type=realtime
After users login with their credentials, they can start syncing. They will not have to configure folders or schedule sync in the setup pages.
- We do not support upgrading users from .msi to .exe.
- Desktop Sync only allows a single user to connect their Egnyte account per machine. If you have a use case which requires support for multiple users, use the Egnyte Connect Desktop App.
- If the .msi is installed remotely, it may not correctly set folder permissions on/Local Cloud, /Private, and /Private/<username> for standard windows users. This has not been observed for Windows administrators.
- The small visual indicators which mark whether individual files have synced may take more than 1 sync to update.
- Database lock may occur if you quit Desktop Sync while syncing a large dataset. Stopping all Egnyte processes from the Control Panel and starting over will solve the problem.
- The localhost browser may not launch immediately after install.