Desktop App Core for Mac 0.4 Release Date: January 27, 2023
In June of 2022, we released a new application called Egnyte Desktop App Core. It is created to address the issues with app deployment (approving kernel extensions) and freeze issues that occur on M1 Pro and M1 Max devices.
More details about the new experience can be found in this article
Context Menu for Partner Integrations
In version 0.4, we have introduced a new item in the context menu - “Integrations”.
After the file/folder is clicked pop-up window appears with available integrations in the context of selected file/folder.
Introducing Improved Flow for Starting/Joining Collaboration Session
We introduced improved flow of opening MS Office documents in collaboration mode. After a user starts a new collaboration session or joins an existing one on MS Word, MS Excel or MS PowerPoint, the dedicated application will open directly - not like in the legacy app where a user is first redirected to the web browser and only then, to a dedicated application.
Key Issues Addressed
- Fix for an issue with contact support form not allowing “+” sign
- Fix for an issue with files created under Shared folder not being skipped
Following Egnyte Desktop App features are currently not present in the Egnyte Desktop App Core (v0.4)
- Connected Folders
- Smart Cache connection
- Microsoft Co-editing available only through context menu
- Configuration of data-usage throttling
- Connection Monitor
These features will be added in upcoming releases of the Desktop App Core. Once Desktop App Core reaches full parity with the older Desktop App, this will replace the current version.
Other Notable Limitations
- Desktop App Core will run on OS Monterey or higher.
- There is a difference in Command Line Interface usage - this is described in this article
- Custom Cloud Start Path can only be added via Command Line Interface and only during the drive addition step. After the addition, it cannot be changed.
- If the Core version of the app is running alongside with current production Egnyte Desktop App, there might be some problems when connecting a drive that needs SSO.
- The application checks for open files every 30 seconds and renews or closes locks depending on the file open. This means that files may remain locked for up to 30 seconds after closing the file.
- Opening files from a third-party application’s recently opened files feature (for example, recently opened files in MS Word) may result in opening an older version of the file (if the file has been changed by someone else and the user hasn’t visited the folder where the file resides).
- Some skips will remain on the list even after skipped files are removed from the cloud drive. Clicking “retry all” in the skips panel will resolve those skipped items.
- Thumbnails/previews are available only for certain file extensions when listed in a folder and the rest after the given file is downloaded.
- Context menu: There are some options for which the user does not have permission in the context menu and will no longer be made visible. For example, the rename and duplicate option will not be available in a read-only folder.
- If the skipped file event is generated in the synced folder (for example file is skipped because of unsupported characters) - the file will be removed from the cloud until the skip is resolved.
- No progress bar for syncing items inside the widget.