Desktop App Core for Mac 0.3 Release Date: December 6, 2022
In June this year we released a new application called Egnyte Desktop App Core. It is created to address the issues with app deployment (approving kernel extensions) and freeze issues that occur on M1 Pro and M1 Max devices.
More details about the new experience can be found in this article
Sync for Offline Access
This version of the application provides support for sync for offline access feature. To sync folder for offline access, right click on the folder and select option from the context menu.
Synced content will be marked with a green visual indicator.
Synced for offline folders will be visible in an additional tab presented in the Desktop App widget.
This feature comes with the following limitations in this version:
- If the skipped file event is generated in the synced folder (for example file is skipped because of unsupported characters), the file will be removed from the cloud until the skip is resolved.
- No progress bar for syncing items inside the widget is shown
In the widget, by clicking on the home icon the search feature will appear.
If a user clicks on filters in the top right corner, the user can narrow the search by file type, as well as when it was uploaded and by whom.
The following Egnyte Desktop App features are currently not present in the Egnyte Desktop App Core (v0.3)
- Connected Folders
- Smart Cache connection
- Microsoft Co-editing or other 3rd party integrations through the Finder context menu
- Configuration of data-usage throttling
- Connection Monitor
These features will be added in upcoming releases of the Desktop App Core. Once Desktop App Core reaches full parity with the older Desktop App, this will replace the current version.
Other Notable Limitations
- Desktop App Core will run ONLY on OS Monterey
- There is a difference in Command Line Interface usage - this is described in this article
- Custom Cloud Start Path can only be added via Command Line Interface and only during the drive addition step. After the addition, it cannot be changed.
- If the Core version of the app is running alongside with current production Egnyte Desktop App, there might be some problems when connecting a drive that needs SSO.
- The application checks for open files every 30 seconds and renews or closes locks depending on the file open. This means that files may remain locked for up to 30 seconds after closing the file.
- Opening files from a third-party application’s recently opened files feature (for example, recently opened files in MS Word) may result in opening an older version of the file (if the file has been changed by someone else and the user hasn’t visited the folder where the file resides).
- Some skips will remain on the list even after skipped files are removed from the cloud drive. Clicking “retry all” in the skip panel will resolve those skipped items.
- Thumbnails/previews are available only for certain file extensions when listed in a folder and the rest after the given file is downloaded.
- Context menu: There are some options for which the user does not have permission in the context menu and will no longer be made visible. For example, the rename and duplicate options will not be available in a read-only folder.
- If the skipped file event is generated in the synced folder (for example file is skipped because of unsupported characters) - the file will be removed from the cloud until the skip is resolved.
- No progress bar for syncing items inside the widget